Daily earring #1: FH-Kiel logo
by Schorhr, published
I present you my collections of ... DAILY EARRINGS! (See all at http://www.thingiverse.com/tag:Daily_earrings )
Yep. I bought myself a 3D printer (FDM) and then thought to myself, that it would be a nice idea to make some earrings for my girlfriend. I was so happy about how the machine manages to print such small things that I designed another, and another, and another... Now I am close to 60 earrings which almost all printed fine.
Why am I doing this?
- To test how small I can go with the printer
- The little prints allow me to try lots of stuff without wasting much time and material
- It increases the WAF ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor )
- 3D printing + Gifts = Love!
Some are simple, some are original work I have spend a few hours on, and some are devirates- depending on how much time and ideas I had. My girlfriend is into a lot of things, such as computers, video games, star treck, so expect rather random things.
As I am making these on a daily basis, please excuse the sloppy files. I usualy just turn an idea into a earring with sketchup, and they are hardly ever manifold. That's why I am providing the source SKP files as well, so you can edit, modify and remove the ring if you wish.
Unless otherwise noted, these are original work. you may have seen these designs on my site http://www.wap.cc or RingOhr.de, and I now decided to share them with you. Enjoy. You may use them for your projects, as long as they are non-commercial (otherwise, ask me for permission). That means deverates have to include be for NC use only as well. If I see these files on Shapeways or similar without having been asked first: Great, you did it! I won't share them anymore.
So you forgot your girl's birthday, valentines, christmas, wedding aniversary? Or you need a toy thing for your kid? PRINT!
What you will need:
1) A 3D printer (d'oh) I am from the dark side of 3D printing... using a commercial pp3dp.com "UP!" plus. So you might want to print them larger and/or add some support manualy. Just don't ask, I probably won't even remember what UP settings I used ;-) Even with an UP some things are fragil and horrible to clean, as I am constantly trying what is possible to print and what is not.
2) Stuff! 2mm and 5mm rhinestones never hurt, or wedding decoration diamonds. And Magnets. 1.5x3mm discs work great. Keep an eye on my work as there's more stuff with those soon...
3) Coloring: You probably noticed that I colored them. Nail polish works great as it bonds to the ABS and is rather cheap. If you want to search for it at ebay, search for: (nail polish,nailpolish,nagellack) 72 72 colors (11ml) should be available for under 30€/$40 incl. shipping. Other sets of this cheap stuff seems to be available as well (12/24/48), but in the large set you have all colors in metallic, glitter and regular. I was sceptical at first, but it works great and glitter is great for lasers. And lasers are manly. Ergo, nail polish is manly. Buy it.
Note: Sorry for some bad pictures... Macro photos with flash usualy reveal every bump and error. The real things at "eye resolution" of the daily earrings look much nicer.
THIS IS DAILY EARRING #1: Logo of http://FH-Kiel.de
It's our universities logo as earring. Expect more interesting stuff soon as this was the first print. All rights for the logo belong to the FH-Kiel, but I guess some students might find it usefull.
NOTE: Some models may need rescaling (0.03937) due to export-import settings where accedentally set to inches.
I have been asked if she actually wears all of them. The answer is yes. Almost all of them.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Print- pretty easy on this one. I made the backside hollow so it is lighter and easier to remove from the raft (as I had initial problems with the rafts but it's all fixed now).